The healthcare process depends on proper information flow to provide quality care and accelerate reimbursements. The process of documenting the patient- healthcare professional encounter has evolved over the years from a simple typing service to a service that aids the healthcare process in various ways. Initially medical transcription was a simple service that essentially converted the audio dictation of the patient- healthcare professional into text format.
With the advent of technology and the increase for standardized documentation mandated by law, medical transcription evolved into a service that helps in standardizing the healthcare process. There have been many changes in the way medical transcription services work; one of the most notable being services that are not restricted to the physical proximity of the healthcare professional or healthcare facility. This development has benefited both the medical transcription service provider as well as the healthcare facility.
By moving away from the concept of an in-house medical transcription department to that of specialized outsourced medical transcription services, these services have provided many benefits to healthcare professionals and healthcare facilities, some of which are given below:
- Allowing for increased focus on provision of quality care: By outsourcing medical transcription, the healthcare facility can increase the focus of their time, efforts and capital towards the process of providing quality care.
- Substantial saving on costs, both direct and indirect: Outsourcing the medical transcription process helps the healthcare facility save on direct and indirect costs that would have been incurred by having medical transcription in-house. Moreover outsourcing medical transcription essentially converts the fixed cost of medical transcription to variable costs
- Benefit from the experience and expertise of the medical transcription service provider: Medical transcription is a specialized skill, which requires the culmination of the right team, the right process and the right technology to provide optimum results. Outsourcing to an experienced medical transcription service provider ensures that all the needs of the healthcare professionals are anticipated and solutions are customized to suit their needs.
- Increased adaptability to changing statutory requirements for documenting: The very nature of healthcare services, mandates certain regulations regarding the norms for documentation, like adopting electronic health records; outsourced medical transcription services help healthcare professionals retain their preferred method of dictation- transcription while still enabling information to be transferred to EMR via HL7 interface. Factors like ensuring HIPAA/ HITECH compliance as mandated by law during the process of transcription are also provided for by the outsourced medical transcription service provider
- Access to a bigger and better workforce: By outsourcing medical transcription the healthcare facilities and healthcare professionals have access to a large pool of skilled and trained medical transcriptionists. Not only that they also have access to the supervisory, the technical and managerial workforce of the service provider
- Enhance patient safety by creating legible records: The process of medical transcription ensures that patient medical records are created by documentation experts who put each transcript through multiple level quality checks. This ensures that patient medical records are accurate and legible.
- Improve workflow: The process of outsourced medical transcription services ensures a smooth flow for collection of dictation, transmission to the outsourced service provider and document delivery via the modes specified by the healthcare professional. Having quality information available on a timely basis through easy access modes enables a smoother workflow. Finding older transcripts is also easier due to the archive facilities provided by the outsourced medical transcription service provider, which enables easy searching using various criteria.
- Helping the healthcare process by providing timely information: Outsourced medical transcription service providers ensure that patient medical records are made available to the healthcare professionals within the turnaround time specified by them.
It can be seen that outsourcing medical transcription can provide healthcare facilities with services that enable them to standardize their services, by providing accurate, timely, secure and cost effective transcripts.
TransDyne, a leader in the outsourced medical transcription industry has been providing medical transcription services for over a decade. TransDyne has used their extensive background in information technology to create systems that provide maximum benefits and save on efforts.
TransDyne offers quality medical transcription at reasonable prices, executed by experienced and qualified medical transcriptionists with a very quick turnaround time executed through secure HIPAA and HITECH compliant channels, with very high levels of accuracy and all this with technology that is advanced but easy to use!
To avail outsourced medical transcription services from TransDyne, click here.