The healthcare business is a complex process requiring the healthcare facilities to juggle various tasks like providing quality healthcare to patients, managing paperwork and dealing with complex administrative tasks. Healthcare facilities not only have to provide quality healthcare to patients but also have to deal with payers and regulatory authorities to be successful and profitable. Considering the complexities of successfully running a healthcare facility, it is important that the healthcare facility focus their time and resources on the core business and outsource the rest.
Outsourcing non-core tasks would help the healthcare facilities improve their services and save on resources. Medical transcription is one such activity that is not part of the core business of healthcare in spite of being an important contributor to the process of providing quality healthcare and quickening the reimbursement process. Outsourcing medical transcription can help healthcare facilities in improvement and expansion of services.
How does outsourcing medical transcription help in improvement and expansion of services?
Medical transcription is the process of creating patient records by converting the dictation of the patient- healthcare professional encounter into text format. Patient records form the basis of further care decisions, reimbursements and are a component of risk management. Outsourcing medical transcription helps in improvement and expansion of services by providing the following:
- Simple solutions: The solutions provided by outsourced medical transcription service providers are simple in the sense that it simplifies the way the healthcare professionals and support staff work, by letting them gain maximum benefits from the technology used by the service provider, while still remaining easy to use. The healthcare professionals can continue to use their preferred modes of capturing the details of the patient- healthcare professional encounter. The uploading of audio files and modes of document delivery would be programmed to minimize the efforts of the support staff.
- Lowering costs: Outsourcing medical transcription helps the healthcare facility to save on cost of transcription. Outsourcing brings a direct saving of 40% to 50% on the cost per line of transcription. Outsourcing medical transcription also has indirect savings on overheads, infrastructure, cost of supervision and management of medical transcription in-house, resulting in better utilization of resources.
- Maximize resources: By outsourcing medical transcription the space, the equipment, the furniture, the information technology resources used for the medical transcription process can be put to good use for developing the core business of the healthcare facility.
- Streamlining the flow of information: Outsourcing medical transcription helps streamline the flow of information by making sure that transcripts are prompt and delivered to the healthcare professionals via the modes specified by them. Options like delivery of transcripts to more than one person, remote faxing/ printing, delivery to specified folders ensures that the flow of information is streamlined.
- Accelerating revenue flow: Patient records are the basis on which the coding and billing process takes place, leading to reimbursements. Outsourcing medical transcription ensures that patient records are created on time thus quickening the reimbursement process and accelerating the revenue flow.
- Better time management: By outsourcing medical transcription, the healthcare facility is essentially outsourcing the recruitment of medical transcriptionists, training, work allocation, monitoring accuracy levels, collection & distribution of transcripts, the information technology requirements, providing for HIPAA/ HITECH compliance during transcription to the medical transcription service provider. This enables the administrative and management staff of the healthcare facility to manage their time better.
- Easy transition to EMR: Outsourcing medical transcription also eases the process of transition to EMR by providing HL7 interface. This has the benefit of adopting EMR without making many changes in the way the healthcare professional captures information of the patient encounter. Dictation has been found to be the preferred choice of capturing information, as it allows the healthcare professional to provide maximum details.
Outsourcing to the right medical transcription service provider can help the healthcare facilities improve and expand on their services.
TransDyne, a leader in the outsourced medical transcription industry has been serving the needs of some of the leading healthcare facilities for over a decade. TransDyne has used their background in information technology to develop software and tools for medical transcription that save on efforts and money.
TransDyne offers quality medical transcription at reasonable prices, executed by experienced and qualified medical transcriptionists with a very quick turnaround time executed through secure HIPAA and HITECH compliant channels, with very high levels of accuracy and all this with technology that is advanced but easy to use!
To avail outsourced medical transcription services from TransDyne, click here.